Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Good Start to the New Year 2011

Well, I have decided to update the blog, get right back into Cycling.

New years day! (Saturday)

Started with a race with Keong, he has been looking / researching into Cervelo bikes since a few days ago a beat him by 2minutes on the PCS timetrial course.

"Your crank is bigger, less effort, your bikes a lot lighter so its easier up the hill" he listed a lot of pros so really it sounds very true but its not, each of these factors may give you a improvement of 1-2% but like what I was told by many older expereince riders its all in the legs.

So that Saturday we swaped bikes and shoes (different pedals) and I gave him a 2 minute start.

He smashed it out of the blocks with the wind behind us. When I got to start I couldn't see him at all.

So lets do a review of his bike.Merida lite 95 (similar)

Frame Ride Lite-Single (alloy)
Crankset Shimano Ultegra 50-34 (compact crank)

1st thing i noticed was the cleat was not centered to the middle of his foot so it was like he was riding on his toes, I am roughly the same height as him so I didn't really need to change anything on his bike.

He was right on the cranks, I spent most of the time on his big crank spinning to the same rpm as I would be on my small crank on the Cervelo. But the compact crank was awesome when trying to climb a slope, I just stayed on the big crank and didn't lose any rytham climbing with ease.

I caught up to Keong pretty quick and could see him now but had to pace my self. Around the big round about at Yancheap, I was only 200 meters away, then the wind hit us on the return. I was peggin him back, each hill I was gaining meters. My heart beat was pounding away and I can see him turn his head around more frequently, checking out where I was. I could sense the panic in him as I paced my self up on the biggest hill of the course.

The wind speed was too strong for some as a lady who struggled up the same hill had to walk it. 3/4 up the hill I caught Mr KEONG!!

Keong: "ok you win its not the bike"

As well caught our breaths back and relax down the hill, I had to show him how good his compact crank was by pedalling with ease up to the next hill, while he tried to figure out which gear to be in on my bike. With bigger cranks you have to keep changing from big to small to find the right one. Could of speed of and left Keong behind but did a few sprints and waited for him.

Its all in the legs people.

Garmin Cycle Detail

Keong and I started road cycling at the same time but I continued on doing any riding when I got the chance but we both still were fit people. So as I rode his Merida 2.7k bike, I still beat my 12k bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment