Saturday, May 1, 2010

Drunken Crash

Recently I have decided to ride to Joondalup Bikeforce for the Saturday morning rides and last time I rode via Ocean Reef -> Joondalup but it was quiet dark and I don't have any good lights on my bike as yet. So I was talking to Steve (CSC) he told me to go via Wanneroo Rd and its a lot quicker and more lights so this morning I took that route, I have ridden up and down Wanneroo Rd many times BUT this MORNING 5:25am...

I am cruising along just passed McDonalds and I can see a guy stepping onto the road and then his arm waving out at cars to get a lift so I slowed down and try to judge where he was going to move but he was all over the place and I couldn't avoid him and CRASHED into him. It was probably 20meters before I saw him, he couldn't see me because of the car headlights.

I was not a happy chappy but kept calm. It was a head on collision and I knocked him over and I fell to my right. He got up and was fine but he was drunk, a drunken pedestrian in the middle of the road trying to get a lift home. HOW unlucky was I?

I checked my bike and my chain had come off but it was too dark for me to check the whole bike, did the quick wheel spinning check. His was speech was blur,

"Oh Sorry man, I didn't see you" (fair enough)
"You want me ID bro?"
"You got a phone bro?"

Me: "Nah its ok, don't worry about I have to go" (I wasn't a happy chappy but half of it was my fault with insufficient lighting)

I have been looking at the AH-yups lights for my bike but haven't had the time.

Anyways back onto the bike and to Bikeforce. Just after the long hill climb, I relaxed and SssSssSssS coming from my front wheel. OMG a flat you serious? I was 2 traffic lights away from Bikeforce so I walked it. It would of been hard to change the tube with the bad lighting.

Lucky I left home early because I was the first one at Bikeforce and this was the first time I have to fix a flat by my self. Took me 10mins to get the new one in.

1. Deflate the tube
2. Unscrew the round thing on the long thing that you insert the pump.
3. Use the lever to wedge out the tire, afterward you can use your fingers
4. Use the lever at the end to fully wedge the tire out
5. Pull out the old tube and the pump part last
6. Run your fingers on the inside of the tire and outside and feel if there is any glass/sharp objects, also check the wheel its self just in case because last time a nail went into my spoke hole.
7. Get your spare tube and unscrew the round thing
8. Feed the pump part in first.
9. Inflate the tire a bit
10. Push it into the wheel groove and at the same time push the tire into place
11. Use the lever to wedge the last bit of the tire back into place
12. Use your fingers and check if the tube is sticking out any place (this would cause a pinch and you would pretty much get another flat in a few kms)
13. Now when everything looks good, put the round thing back on and pump it up.
14. Now bounce the wheel a few times to see if strange things happen.

When I was at the coffee shop, I was inspecting my self and I have a tear on my brand new rain jacket grr top right shoulder and also my right knee is feeling a bit sore. But I can't see if I have any scratches until I got home.

So just got the gear off and here is a picture of the right knee.

Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. Hi

    Sorry to hear about the collision but glad to hear you are not to badly hurt and the bike is okay. Might be a good idea to do something about those lights :)

    Take care.

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  2. I put through a order for the ay-up kits explorer 8 I think it's called

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Nghia, what was the name of the website for the design competition

    ReplyDelete